Thursday, March 26, 2015

Me... A runner?!?

I have NEVER, EVER, EVER, NEVER liked running.  EVER!  Example: In high school, I would pretend I was running the mile and I wouldn't.

With that said, I have recently become a self-proclaimed, avid walker/semi-runner!  Yesterday, I did intervals of fast walking and running for three straight miles... THREE MILES!!! Not only did I do that, I improved my time by 11 and a half minutes.  When I started walking, it would take me an hour to walk three miles.  I am down to 48 minutes and 30 seconds (but who is counting?!)!!!!  I am so proud of what I have been accomplishing.  This newest accomplishment is one of my proudest yet!

Not only am I proud of what I have accomplished... I am looking forward to making more progress continuously and I'm even contemplating signing up for a 5k!

If I had to give advice to someone in the same position where I was when I started this journey:

1. Don't feel bad about moving slow... At least you're moving!  When I started this process, I moved slower than I am moving now.  I now find myself randomly taking a longer route (just to walk more)!

2. Get some kind of activity tracker... I have the Fitbit One and I LOVE it.  Not only does it track how many steps I take, it monitors how active I am every day.  It helps me hold myself accountable and I am loving it.


3. Do not give up!!!!  There have been days that I did not want to work out.  Instead of giving into myself, I pushed myself to get on the treadmill.  More often than not, I walked more than I planned to once I was actually on the treadmill.


4. Do not throw yourself a pity party if you do skip a day.  Instead of letting it ruin the rest of your week, push forward and work out tomorrow!  I have done that two times and made up for it both times.


I am NO expert when it comes to running, however, I do know what it is like to start something new and luckily, I have had some success with it.  If you have tips or suggestions, please leave them in the comments.  I am new to this and would love to hear other people's ideas and tips!


 photo image.jpg4_1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment